Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Anna's first 9/11

The three of us - Anna, Joseph and me - drove to Anna's two-month check up this morning early. I had the radio tuned to a classic country station, and when we were a few minutes from home the DJ reminded the listeners of the six year anniversary of 9/11. Poignant statements made by newscasters, politicians and Americans on September 11, 2001 were played, followed by Ray Charles' America the Beautiful. A moment of silence was observed at the exact time that the first plane hit the WTC. I cried.

This is Anna's first 9/11, and my first 9/11 to have a child. I remember when HBO produced its special on 9/11 - I bought it, telling Joseph that I wanted to buy it to explain to our children just how horrific that day really was. And now my child is here. And I'm going to have to explain it to her one day.

No comments: